Movies and Music come together at Sound On Screen – since 2010 Flamedrop Productions has been curating an amazing and eclectic array of music-related movies, documentaries and subjects linked to music and sound in all of its forms from around the globe, this edition including movies from across Africa, Europe, Asia, North America, UK and beyond.
Festival Trailer: https://youtu.be/8qlgGdc0hkE
Tickets & Streaming: https://qkt.io/8HYkj9
Traditionally a cinema-based indie festival, the 2022 edition of Sound On Screen will be its first on-line virtual event (streaming via Quicket across 25 February – 6 March), the main advantage of this being that viewers across South Africa can access any of the movies across the festival period in stead of being limited to a single screening in one particular city cinema.
(see a list of some titles screened across the festival history at the end of this press release)
From subdued, beautiful, lyrical musical sentiments all the way through to eruptions of audio genius, innovation, intensity, history and madness, and everything in between, you can expect genre variants from Pop, Rock, Hip-Hop, African, Classical, Metal and Punk, to Choral, Disco, Experimental, ‘80s Pop Legends, Electronic, Folk, Garage, Jazz, even something for vinyl collectors and horror fans!
The exciting movies traverse moods across the spectrum, all illustrating the power of music:
serious, humorous, entertaining, enlightening, uplifting, heart breaking, inspiring, hopeful, informative, social commentary, educational, touching on the pandemic and more.
Where it has always mainly been a feature film oriented event, this year a wider range of short subjects are also included (compiled into feature length collections).
Besides affordable single tickets, a heavily discounted full festival pass gives the viewer access to everything at half the price (6 movies / documentaries and 6 feature length collections of 28 short- to medium length subjects – each tickets gets you an entry to win prizes from Bothners Musical Instruments):
Single Movie Pass: R 30
Full Festival Pass: R 150
SOUND ON SCREEN 2022 LINE-UP :
Info, Tickets & Streaming: https://qkt.io/8HYkj9
Festival Website: www.flamedrop.com/sos
ONCE A PUNK… (DIMA PUNK…)
This enlightening documentary follows a young Punk in Casablanca as he struggles to be himself in a society that looks down on his lifestyle.
(France / Morocco)
THE WHISPER OF THE MARIMBA
The marimba is the bridge between Africa and Latin America. This documentary looks across three generations of players at how the sound of the wooden xylophone connects the present-day life on the Ecuadorian Pacific coast with its African roots.
(Germany / Ecuador)
THE MAESTRO – A Symphony of Terror
This classical music-driven feature film is a loving tribute to the cult classics of the past, but also an exploration into deep philosophical issues about the nature of art, all against a horror backdrop of a failed composer losing his mind trying to bring his magnum opus to life.
An inspiring documentary following an unknown Metal band from a Navajo reservation who lands the opportunity to record in Denmark with renowned Metallica produced Flemming Rasmussen.
(USA / Denmark)
A look at the beautiful musical relationship between Bora Ju, a traditional gayageum player (Korean plucked zither), and harpist Kihwa Lee.
THE HISTORY OF METAL AND HORROR
An in-depth documentary delving into the relationship between Heavy Metal music and Horror movies across history – incl. interviews with prominent musicians and filmmakers from Metallica, Slipknot, Anthrax and Alice Cooper, to Rob Zombie, John Carpenter, Tom Savini and many more (with clips from a wide range of popular and more obscure horror movies)
A LYRICAL JOURNEY
Two musically moving chapters
– A TOKEN OF LOVE – a remote collaborative ‘virtual choir’ piece with 130 global performers (Italy)
– SONGWRITER (Parolier) – an intimate documentary look at a prolific songwriter (Belgium)
ROCUMENTARY DOUBLE FEATURE
Two rock-based documentaries
– CALM BEFORE… THE RISING STORM – a fascinating look at a one-album band from the ’60s whose popularity resurfaced with the high prices fetched for their rare original vinyl pressing (USA)
– THE REFLECTACLES ARE DEAD – a documentary feature of a band with a bright future, touring with Willy Nelson, but unexpectedly breaking up after the rigors of the road (USA)
A collection of short subjects touching on the mid- & post-pandemic crisis and its effect on musicians and the industry
– GARY KEMP IN SOLO – renowned Spandau Ballet member’s solo album making-of documentary (UK)
– THE SILENT STAGE – a look at how the pandemic impacted musicians (Turkey)
– CALL ME BACK: The Uncommon Wisdom of Yvette Slosch – a fictional comedy on how a jazz musician can survive lockdown (USA)
– MUSIC AND MENTAL HEALTH – a music and psychology exploration (USA)
MUSIC-THEMED SHORT FILM COLLECTION
Various music-related short subjects incl. fiction, musicals, music videos
– MENSVRETERS – BOEFLEWE MADE ME DO IT – crazy SA cannibal rappers’ horror short film (South Africa / UK)
– CUCKOO! (Koekoek!) – comedy short about a man living in a cuckoo clock (Netherlands)
– ODYN V KANOE – I Have No Home – cinematic fantasy music video (Ukraine)
– ONE HIT WONDER – a former pop star takes a one way taxi ride into the Twilight Zone (USA)
– ISOBEL – Take Me Away – a moving dark-alt-folk music video (South Africa)
– ON AIR – thriller short film set in a radio station (Netherlands)
– SOPHIA BROMBERG – Lately – The Voice finalist’s new music video (USA)
– EAT THE RAINBOW – flamboyant explosive musical (USA)
– TERMINATRYX – Virus 3rd Wave – industrial-rock remix music video (South Africa)
– SPRING PAN Let’s Go! – far-out animation trip (Japan)
– I MUSTACHE YOU – quirky New York-based short (USA)
– VILE A SIN – Carnival Of Souls – heavy metal music video (USA)
THE AFRICAN MUSIC EXPERIENCE
A collection of short subjects delving into various African music aspects, genres and experiences
– SOTRA CYPHERS: 5 Year Anni-Verse-Ary Special – Hip-Hop mini-doc (South Africa)
– IJO: A Love Story – a dance oriented fictional short (Nigeria)
– RISE UP! – racial justice mini-doc (Netherlands)
– SHINE – ambitious rapper spotlight (Sierra Leone)
– BREONA – BLM music video (USA)
A DIVERSE AUDIO TRIPTYCH
Two fascinating documentaries and a music video
– DEAR LILY LOVE, PATRICK – a very moving mini-doc on a San Francisco Disco pioneer (USA)
– MADBEN Grief, Dance To Death – an amazingly visual music video (France)
– INGVAR LOCO NORDIN – a fascinating documentary feature about an eccentric experimental audio artist (Sweden)
Across the festival history the invigorating screening selections have included:
IT MIGHT GET LOUD, SPRINGBOK NUDE GIRLS, THE HEALING NOTES, THE CREATORS, LORDS OF CHAOS, AFRICAN DRUM – Beyond The Beat, ROCK THE BELLS, THE HEIR OF LISZT, MARCH OF THE GODS, SOUND OF NOISE, PUNK IN AFRICA, FREDDY MERCURY – THE KING OF QUEEN, SOAKED IN BLEACH, FOKOFPOLISIEKAR, GOD BLESS OZZY OSBOURNE, TAKING WOODSTOCK, ONE MINUTE FOR CONDUCTORS, BJORK BIOPHILIA, MAMA GOEMA, THE HEART IS A DRUM MACHINE, PLACEBO: ALT.RUSSIA, MISSION TO LARS, live silent film soundtrack performance by THE MAKABRA ENSEMBLE and many, many more great movies.
See you down the Stream !